Switched on Business celebrates sustainable action in local business.
The Swan Valley establishment have increased their focus on waste reduction over the past year including the following actions:
- Rally local businesses to participate in organic waste collection
- Reuse packaging as kids colouring-in paper
- Reuse scrap office paper for taking orders from customers
- Encourage suppliers to take back packaging and recycling all other paper, cardboard, glass and hard plastics
- Separate soft plastics for REDcycle recycling
- Remove the lids and cut the rings off our juice, lemonade and milk bottles, allowing the recycling of the bottles and protecting wildlife
- Set up a TerraCycle recycling point for latex food handling gloves
- Switched from plastic to paper straws and joined the Last Straw
- Switched to BioPak and Endura for all unavoidable disposable packaging, enabling end-of-life composting
- Dispose of oil through Bioworks which is then converted into biodiesel
- Encourage guests to decorate using paper lanterns, fabric bunting and flowers rather than balloons and glitter
These achievements were made possible through the actions of a couple of dedicated employees and the support of business owners.