- Regularly check your tyre pressure. Under-inflated tyres can increase fuel consumption by three per cent and take 10 000 kilometres off the tyre's life.
- Service your car regularly. A well-tuned car can use 15 percent less fuel.
- Slow down. Driving at 90 kilometres per hour uses 25 percent less fuel than travelling at 110 kilometres per hour.
- Travel light. Don't use your car to store heavy equipment for long periods of time, an extra 50 kilograms of weight increases fuel consumption by two per cent.
- Remove roof racks and anything fixed to the outside of your car when they are not in use to minimise wind resistance.
Green driving tips
Planning a road trip for the school holidays? Below are some green driving tips that will save fuel and emissions. Happy holidays!