You can compost your organic waste in a bin or covered heap. Composting is a great option if you have a bit of space in your yard and want to improve the fertility of your soil.
Our top five tips for effective composting
- Choose a bin with minimal aeration holes, sliding doors or hatches. In the Perth climate, your compost will dry out too quickly if exposed to too much air
- Find a sunny spot for your compost bin, the process will be faster if your compost is hot
- Feed your compost diverse materials (garden prunings, newspaper, kitchen scraps, grass clippings) and keep it moist at all times
- Keep fats and oils, meat and dairy out of your compost. They’ll get smelly and attract pests
- Your compost is ready when it smells earthy, is dark in colour and of a crumbly consistency