Switched on schools
Jarrahdale Primary School
Jarrahdale Primary School has been recognised as a Switched on School for Term 3, 2015.
Five years ago, Jarrahdale Primary School’s forays into food gardening started with veggies planted in orchard boxes and herbs in old bathtubs. Since then, the school has:
- Established veggie gardens and an orchard
- Received a Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden grant used to purchase mobile kitchen facilities
- Employed two teacher's assistants who manage the garden and kitchen programs
- Established the successful Earth Aware program
- Continually seek grant and fundraising opportunities and make use of the skills of community volunteers and staff to help maintain and build on their current successes.
Earth Aware is a unique and holistic approach to sustainability. Every Tuesday morning the school is divided into five mixed-grade groups that rotate through weekly sessions on gardening, cooking, waste reduction, water conservation and information, computing and technology.
Earth Aware allows students to gain a more in-depth understanding of sustainability, creates planning efficiency for teachers and allows parents to volunteer in an area that they enjoy or have skills in.
Click on the tiles below to find out more about the actions Jarrahdale Primary School are taking.