Have you ever wondered what happens at a Recycling Facility?!
Join us for a waste education workshop and a tour of the Southern Metropolitan Regional Council (SMRC) Regional Resource Recovery Centre (RRRC.
The workshop will cover:
- What waste goes in which bin?
- The lifecycle of waste
- Where to take the items that can't go in your household bin
On the tour you will get to see:
- The Waste Composting Facility, so you can learn how the general waste bin was turned into compost and what now happens with Food Organics Garden Organics (FOGO) materials.
- The Green Waste Facility, where garden waste is turned into mulch.
- The Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), where recyclables are separated, baled and sold for reuse.
- The Education Centre, where there are lots more resources to help you to reduce, reuse and recycle.
Please note: in spring and summer, snakes begin to emerge to bask in the sun and there may be an increase in sightings around the facility. In the unlikely event of a situation, your tour guide is trained in first aid should an emergency arise.
The event will begin with a tour of the RRRC, followed by morning tea and a workshop with an opportunity to have all your waste and recycling questions answered.
This event is brought to you by the Western Metropolitan Regional Council